Live Private Classes for Seniors
As we all know, the word, “Senior” means older, but it can also mean having the wisdom to know what is important, an interest in new challenges, and the confidence to meet those challenges.
Impressive achievements have been made by seniors around the world
- Nelson Mandela became President of South Africa at the age of 75
- Mother Teresa received the Nobel Peace Prize at the age of 79
- Mahatma Gandhi led the Salt March when he was 61
- Deborah Shine wrote her 72nd book when she was 83
- Teiichi Igarashi climbed Mt. Fuji, at the age of 100
- John Glenn went into space at the age of 77
- Ian Shine was granted his 14th patent when he was 86
- Keiko Fukuda continued teaching judo and self-defense classes even at the age of 98
Can seniors learn a new language?
Yes, very much so. Numerous studies demonstrate that people of all ages can learn a new language. In addition, learning a new language as a senior can have many benefits:
- Learning is good for the brain. Multiple studies clearly show that, at all ages, learning keeps the brain functioning at a high level.
- The brain operates like a muscle. Learning a new language gives the brain the challenge and exercise that it needs to maximize functionality.
- Studies indicate that on-going learning can slow the physical process of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Bilingualism is good for brain health. People who are bilingual don’t suffer from dementia as early in life as those who only speak one language do.
- Research confirms that switching from one language to another utilizes a key part of the brain linked to a decrease in cognitive decline.
- Learning can increase social interaction, which in turn, can help a senior’s well-being in general.
How old must I be to take a senior class?
NESE On-Line accepts students 70 and older to these classes. We offer a 5% discount to students 80 and older.
What kind of private classes does NESE On-Line offer for seniors?
NESE understands that as a senior, you have unique needs and goals - and, often, limited time. For this reason, we have designed a program that is not only sensitive to the way that adults learn, but in addition, sensitive to the fact that you might not have studied something new for many years. As a result, seniors have the option of taking classes in short 25-minute blocks. Of course, if you want to combine blocks and study for 50 minutes, you are more than welcome to do so.
How long is a private class for seniors?
Private class for seniors lasts for 25 minutes.
Can I take a private class with a friend or friends?
Yes, of course! Learning a new language with a friend is a wonderful group activity. For example, if you and some friends are planning to take a trip together, you could certainly request a class on “English for Tourism”.
What materials do you use?
We use a range including materials that NESE, itself, has designed as well as some of the most well-respected English language books in the field. As you can imagine, your teacher will adjust what is used according to the specific ability and the goals of the individual person.
Will I need to take a placement test?
Just as a doctor makes a diagnosis from a blood sample, we need to have an understanding of your English level that is as complete as possible - so that we can most effectively teach you. It is impossible to fail a placement test, and so there is no need to be nervous about it.
What experience do your teachers have?
All our teachers have extensive experience. Some of them specialize in teaching children, some in teaching adults, and some in teaching seniors. In addition, all NESE On-Line teachers are required to undergo NESE On-Line’s rigorous training and are observed regularly.